June 13, 2011

My Kitty Mama Story

 

Forgive me for sounding like a “crazy cat lady” for sharing this post, but I was somewhat inspired by Kumiko's posts about her cat to go ahead and tell the story of my own kitty:  Joey.

Before I got him, I had talked quite a lot about getting a black cat.  I feel that black cats get quite a bad rep due to their superstition as being “unlucky” – that’s one superstition I just don’t buy into.  (Especially not after I got Joey!)

I got him shortly after Christmas 2008.  On Christmas Day, I went to the usual gathering with my mother’s side of the family.  My cousin had told me that he and my aunt had been feeding a family of stray kittens at their house, and some of them were black.  He asked me if I might want to adopt one, and I said I would.

The day after Christmas was a very nasty day in terms of weather.  All morning, the roads were completely iced over.  It took my Stepdad six hours to get to work – a commute that takes him 30 minutes under normal circumstances.  I was lucky that I was working at an elementary school at the time – we were on holiday break, and so I didn’t have to go in to school. 

Anyway, my aunt and my cousin still managed to get Joey to my house.  He was a tiny kitten back then, and didn’t do much more than hide and hiss for the first day or two.  Vet checkup indicated that he was a healthy kitty (thankfully), and his mood completely changed after a bath.  I decided to name him Joey, after Joey Ramone, because I thought he needed a punk rock name!

It’s now nearly three years later, and Joey is my baby.  My cousin always checks up on Joey whenever he comes to the house to visit.  I’m a proud kitty mama, and I wouldn’t have it any other way!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful cat!
    His name is after Joey Ramone? Wow...that's so cool!(^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kumiko ... hehe, yeah, I named him after Joey Ramone. =) Thanks for saying he's a beautiful cat -- even though the pic isn't a very good one. :-/ I took it with my cell phone.

    ReplyDelete